Wednesday, January 27, 2010

191 Days to Go

     I consider myself  fairly open minded.   Granted I have not been the best to accept new fangled things, like computers and telephone answering devices. That being said I have to draw the line when it comes to multitasking.  I am not very good at multitasking and I frown on anyone  who tries to do more than just drive their car, truck, bicycle, moped or roller skates.
     This morning while I was driving to work, I encountered two people who were more involved in texting  and eating than they were in driving.  I saw a woman eating something from a plastic cup with a plastic spoon as she drove with her elbows.  Her car was easing its way into my lane so I had to I give her more room.  As she passed me, a truck found me in another lane.  Perhaps this was not the day to drive to work, I thought.  The truck driver was texting but at least his hands were somewhere on the wheel.   He was looking down more than he was looking forward or to the sides and he was not, from where I sat, aware that he was getting quite close to pushing me into the next lane.  My concern was that there was no lane next to me, so I slowed my speed so he could text ahead of me.
    As I was hoping that this type of encounters were over, a car decided to turn right into my lane.  If  I  had not been right next to the car, he could have eased in and I would not be writing this blog. I had no way of seeing if he had put on his right turn signal.  Thinking about it now, I must have been in his blind spot.  I was the blind spot.  In order not  to become one with the car, I eased back on the gas. But then, another car cut in front of me,  followed by four more cars.  At least I had the last laugh as I saw the parking lot of cars  awaiting those cars which had just cut across my bow.
     Too many people are trying to do too many other things including driving when they should just be driving.  The list of behind the wheel activities is almost endless: reading a book or map, drinking coffee or sodas, texting, knitting, putting on eye liner, yelling at the kids in the back seat, using the laptop, eating a sandwich, putting on lipstick, cutting out coupons, and balancing a checkbook.
      Please just drive. Leave multitasking to your work place.  And I promise to reduce my  limited multitasking in my car.  Can you promise the same?

No comments:

Post a Comment