Sunday, January 24, 2010

193 days to Go

    At the ripe young age of 59 years and some amount of months, weeks, days and minutes, I find myself trying to eat better. If I had been smarter, I would have been eating better for most of my life. I would have not eaten all the junk food when I was young and sodas when I was older.  I did change the way I ate  when I married my wife.  I was a meat eater and she remembers fondly, the days I would stink(as she recalls) up the kitchen with the wonderful smell of sauteed onions and liver. She tried to convince me of all the benefits of not eating meat and eventually I agreed that killing animals was not a good thing for the animals.  As I read more about how the animals were treated prior to their demise, I understood why people become vegetarians.  I won't go into any of the details of how they are killed but every time I see someone eat a hamburger, I think of  a mean person killing Bambi!
     When we go grocery shopping, I read the nutrition panels on the packages as well as my wife. Last week, some big name doctor who always seems to drop into the right daytime shows said that eating organic peanut butter was better than the PB which is packaged by one of the big name companies. This past Friday we bought some natural peanut butter that had only one ingredient: peanuts. Saturday morning we had toast and peanut butter for breakfast.  We each  had two slices of bread, one slice with a brand name and one with the real peanut butter.  The brand name peanut butter with sugar, corn syrup solids and traces of rapeseed and soybean oil and vitamins and minerals which were removed during the processing but returned  so the big companies could claim that the customer was still getting something slightly nutritious which tasted much better. 
     Organic peanut butter has got to be healthier for almost everyone except the Garroways.  The Garroways gave it a  chance but we have decided that plain old peanut butter with all the added additives is what we are going to eat.
     If I had eaten non doctored peanut butter from the beginning, I might actually tolerate it better. When organic peanut butter tastes as good as mass produced peanut butter, I'll change but until that time, I will just eat my plain old peanut butter right out of the jar.
     I'll just have to eat better with all the other food groups.
    

No comments:

Post a Comment