Saturday, January 30, 2010

190 Days to Go Until

     Some of my friends and I'm sure relatives call me strange.  I think I have a sense of humor but some of my jokes are only funny to me.  If only my friends could look into my mind, they would understand what goes on between my ears.  Actually, it might not be such a good idea to look into my mind.
     I think someone once said something about taking pleasures in the little things in life.  No, I don't know if someone actually said that but someone should have.  My wife and I have a different definition of a little pleasure.  We just spent over fourteen hundred dollars for a  clothes washer and dryer. I thought it necessary to say clothes washer because someone out there could think that we bought a dish washer.  Actually, we did buy a dish washer but for now I am talking about a clothes washer and clothes dryer. Not a dish washer and a dish dryer.
     Our clothes washer and dryer were in the basement when we bought the house.  We never replaced either in over 11 years.  The clothes dryer did require a belt replacement with a belt which cost thirty dollars and over one hundred and fifty dollars in labor.  In recent years the dryer has been taking longer to dry everything.
    So last week we went to Sears and looked at dryers and washers priced from reasonable to outlandish. Being  Garroways, we settled on the reasonable washer and dryer.  Paying several hundred dollars more for  an appliance painted in black does not  agree with me.  Of course, we had to pay more for a gas dryer. I had measured our old washer and dryer and knew what we could put in the basement.  But when we were standing next to our new appliances in the store, they all looked much smaller.  But having them in the basement now, they are not that much smaller.  The digital display  is easier to see and there are more selections for cleaning and drying the clothes.
     The front loading washer is so quiet that  I had to stand in front of it and watch it spin to make sure it was actually working. And I stood watching the washer drum spin and I smiled. The towels dried in less than 30 minutes and I smiled.
     Sometimes it is the little things(like a new washer and dryer which set us back over fourteen hundred big ones) that make me smile.  By the way, if you need to call me on Saturday mornings, I'll be doing the laundry because it gives me so much pleasure.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment